Tuesday, February 26, 2008

SCUM Manifesto....Whoa!

While reading this manifesto, I couldn't help thinking about what happened to the author to influence her radical views. We all live in patriarchy, and, although I despise it, I have never thought of such extreme measures to end the sexist oppression of women. I couldn't stop trying to decide whether the author is serious, or is she just trying to conjure up a reaction from her audience. Her article, I thought, is one of the reasons why so many people reject feminists. They equate feminism with her line of thinking, but I don't think she is a feminist at all, or at least not the same kind that I am.

Additionally, through this article, she is not advocating to end sexist oppression, she is enforcing it; I don't know who is more sexist: her or the men she speaks of. I think it was Audre Lorde of maybe bell hooks that said, "You can't knock the down the master's house using the master's tools," meaning that you can't involve yourself in the same tactics and practices used by your oppressor in the efforts of trying to fight oppression. I don't think she gets that concept at all!

1 comment:

Blakelymarie said...

I totally agree with you, actually I am going to write my blog on and speak about SCUM Manifesto. I thought it was sort of hypocritical for her to not only pose the idea of bringing about the fall of men but to also try and turn men into sterotypical women, cooking and cleaning for women and waiting on them hand and foot. I thought that the whole goal of the feminist movement was for equality and not domination. Although I don't like the way that women are being treated and objectified now by men, I am not o.k. with controlling and dominating men either.