Tuesday, April 8, 2008

When reading the "Third Wave Manifesta from Manifesta" I was felt both empowered and uplifted by the bullet points because I could relate to the majority of the themes. When reading the article the woman was at the forefront, and was the focus. Breaking down social constructions, what comes along with being a woman, double standards, and many more women's rights were dissected. The Manifesta included all types of women and didn't make anyone feel left out. Different themes applied to different people allowing multiple connections and overlapping(s) to occur. I related to numbers 10 and 12 the most. I can relate to number 10 because I have witnessed it the most out of any other situation. Women who are physically or sexually abused, violated or mistreated is evident in all walks of life. No one has the right to harass another person regardless of how the "thought" of violence came about. Being a personal witness to one of my friends being physically abused by another person gave me the conviction to stand firmly against domestic abuse. Watching my friend get hurt and pushed around was difficult as an observer, but imagining what was really running through her head when she was beaten, is even more challenging. I truly can't understand how someone would put there hands on another person. This represents insecurities that the abuser is trying to cover up, by appearing more powerful to the one they are abusing.
This led me to number 12. My whole reason for being a feminist is to promote equality overall. I never want to just fight for women's rights although I am a women, I want to fight for equality for all. It would be selfish for me to only look out for my rights. Men and women need to work hand in hand in ending all social oppressions. Of course I have more of a connection with women's rights because of my biological orientation, but all oppressions are intersecting and therefore overlap with both men and women.
On a larger scale this article reminds me of being questioned constantly by others about my major. It's unfortunate that you have to explain what a Women's Studies major is. I never question a biology major, only because I have learned about biology and it is seen as "normal." People don't truly know about Comparative Women's Studies which is sometimes depressing, but silence will never let others learn either. There has to be social change with social action for anything to prosper.

No comments: