Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Thirteen Point agenda

Reading the Third Wave Manifesta, is relating to women to become individuals making their own decisions. The Third Wave Mainfesta also makes lots of political stands for women, on reproductive rights, and gay and lesbian rights. On the thirteen point agenda one of my favorite points was #8. Point eight was requesting that women are to have equal health care rights as men, as well as coverage providers should keep in mind that women seek health care more often than men. I never thought about there being a difference in women and men health care. However it is true, that women will usually go to the general practitioner more than men. I believe that women should have health care that is equivalent to men, but health care for women should be less expensive do to the fact that health care is more of a necessity for women.
Point number three I have mixed feelings about. Everyone either homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual ect should have the right to have children or adopt if they choose. Yet, I do believe that homosexual parents would confuse the child and put them into an acquired position when growing up. Several issues may arise for the child, for example some children’s parents may not allow their child to have a relationship with the child of homosexual parents. The child will be ostracized and reticule for having two mommies and put in a position to explain why. On the other hand, I do believe that gay or lesbian people should have the choice of having children or adopting; but I think the effects of having gay or lesbian parents will bring upon a lot of ridicule for the child.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with your point. When reading these points there were some that I agreed with simply because I agree in equality for all regardless of specific orientations. On the other hand I had other conflicts with my religion and personal upbringing on what is socially "correct." I sometimes wonder if two same sex parents would confuse a child when growing up. Yet there are confused kids with the same sex parents right now. I guess it's just difficult because people aren't really talking about these issues out in the open.