Tuesday, April 8, 2008

3rd Wave!!!




From reading the third wave manifesta, I think that this is the Manifesto for generation X feminists. I sometimes feel that within the feminist movement our younger generation isn't taken as seriously but I feel that many of my peers are very active and involved and radical and they deserve to be recognized. Also with their #2. Women's rights to bear or not bear children, I spoke with my best friend yesterday about how difficult it is for minors to have abortions without the consent of a parent and I was explaining to my friend that many of these young women will try and preform an abortion on themselves totally harming their reproductive system because they are so adamant about not having a baby. In situations like these I feel that even if you are not pro choice, you must recognize the fact that women are going to try and have abortions no matter if they are legal or not and it is important to advocate for their right to have a safe and sterile abortion. Also I was condom shopping not to long ago and the store that I went to had their condoms locked up behind a counter and I thought to myself how intimidating this must be for a young girl or boy. Many of these kids who want to buy condoms and practice safe sex with probably turn away because they are to embarrassed to ask for a box of condoms for fear of being judged. But they will still have sex, now putting themselves and their partners at risk. I think that it is very important to advocate for not only free condoms for minors at their doctors offices but also free birth control for girls under eighteen who are to fearful to ask their parents or guardians. I think that young people want to practice safer sex but because of the stigma that goes along with sexually active teens, they are too scared. Also I like to consider myself a very strong opposer of violence against women, I try my best to not only educate my female friends and family but males as well about violence against women and how violence does not only have to be physical but is verbal as well. Often many women who are in relationships get coerced into having sex with their partners or spouses and are too afraid to say no for fear of being beaten or verbally assaulted. This too is violence against women and if you are afraid to say NO to someone then maybe you shouldn't be with that person. Someone who claims to love you should never intimidate you or make you afraid of them. Lastly, I agree that it is important for all feminists, no matter our sexual orientation, educational background, or class, to come together on equal ground to fight for what is important for us as women; holistic health care, equal pay, reproductive rights, human rights, etc.

No comments: