Monday, April 7, 2008

the manifesta for all women

Reading this manifesta was truly empowering. As we prepare our manifestos in class, I am baffled by what to say. What is going on in the world that I have a strong opinion about and want to share with my sisters (all sisters)? After reading this Manifesta, my eyes were open to more things that I am passionate about. Out of the 13 points of interest, 9 stood out to me specifically [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10].
Point #2 dealt with a woman’s right to bear or not to bear children. I, personally, have no desire to bear children or care for children. When I tell people this, they feel the need to remind me that I am a woman, that bearing children is something I am “supposed to do”. I know that this #2 leads into the 3rd point of the manifesto regarding reproductive rights. However, the last line of #2 says “support [her] choice to be childless” (568). To me that didn’t necessarily mean abortion, that meant my choice not to pro-create in general. In #3 they deal with the aspect of reproductive rights, birth control, fertilization treatments, and sterilization abuse. In hopes of opening the doors for reproductive rights, birth control and fertilization treatments to all women (poor women and lesbians specifically). And lastly including “the idea that sex… is for pleasure, not procreation” (568).
I also enjoyed #5 stating that we must truly embrace women’s history as a part of our county’s history. Feeling that “women’s history [should be] taught to men as well as women as a part of all curricula” (568). TOTALLY AGREE! I also agree that we need to embrace the concept in #7, “self in community”. Find the balanced link between activism and the self… Lastly, I truly truly truly agree with #8’s approach “to have equal access to health care, regardless of income” (568). Women use the health care system more, therefore giving men more privileges is pointless and sexist. I LOVED THIS READING (short, sweet, and to the point!)

1 comment:

Blakelymarie said...

I totally agree with you, I LOVE this reading… I thought it was a great example of a manifesto and it was current, informative and entertaining. I agree with all of their comments, especially sex being for pleasure and not procreation. I feel like women’s right to enjoy sex is often overlooked. I feel like society tries to make us believe that women should have sex to get pregnant or have sex to please a man. Why else would they make us believe that if we can’t have an orgasm than something is wrong with us. Or advertise all of these creations to make us more “beautiful and attractive” to a man but we’re supposed to except men for being smelly, overweight, and unshaven, etc.