Monday, April 7, 2008

This Third wave thang!!!!

When I started to read this article I was puzzled by how short it was. I was confused, I thought what could these two authors possibly be trying to convey in one and a half pages, were they serious?Although, I must apologize for making such a BOLD/IGNORANT statement as such. I mean after reading this article three times and really try to understand what Baumgardner and Richards point was excitement and comprehension came.
Both Baumgardner and Richards talk about a thirteen point agenda that they would like to see in the future a "Third Wave Manifesta". When I first saw the word Manifesta I automatically began to think about the Manifesto project that I was currently doing with nine other classmates in Feminist Theory. All ten of us that are doing this project some what fit into what the authors thirteen point agenda is conveying. I mean even though all of are ideas are not the same what we are trying to do as a group is change what the world has labeled us as, to march out BOLDLY against it, and finally showing them that there is change that can happen.
After going through all thirteen points I felt like all the points had truth to it but yet there were points that I also felt more strongly about. I mean these were points like YEA, HELL YEA I want to be apart in that and maybe we should start that, matter of fact lets start this NOW!! I was excited about point #4,#5,#8, and #13. Now number four (#4) stood out to me because it spoke on how important it was to talk about sex and sex health and most importantly to educate the male responsibility, we just don't take these type of things seriously I don't think. History I believe is important in all aspects for it has been stated by many if history is not taught it is known to repeat itself. As people we must realize that as much as we study about the "WHITE MAN " and his history it is time for us to flip the table and listen to "HERSTORY", women's history must be taught to men so that they too can be educated along with other women . Men must be taught that not all FEMINIST are male bashers and lesbians.
In today's global society it is a must that we have the proper health care system to take care of the needs of our people. Regardless, to the amount of income that one is bringing into the home we as a country should have the funds to help those who are in need. Number eight points out that " equal access to health care"(p.568) making sure that we as people understand, that men and women should have the same rights especially when women have a reproductive system. All in all, this is to say that no matter one's gender, sexuality, or race we must pass the equal rights amendment so that " we can have a constitutional foundation of righteousness and equality upon which future women's rights conventions will stand."(p.569)

No comments: