Tuesday, April 8, 2008

13 points that make TOO much sense

I thoroughly enjoyed Baumgardner’s and Richard’s thirteen-point agenda in regards to women’s rights. Point two reflects my stance on abortion rights. Although I personally would like to believe I will never abort a child I willingly helped conceive, I cannot say for sure what I would or would not do until I am in that situation. However, “a woman’s right to bear or not bear a child, regardless of circumstances” should be a common sense and natural right of all women. What further appalls me is that there are MEN who make decisions, whether good or bad, on women’s reproductive rights. I am outraged about that and cannot fathom how stupid and idiotic that reality is. I have realized that I have come to be more sensitive, open-minded and outspoken for the gay and lesbian community. They like everyone are a part of humanity and should be given the same civil and natural rights as anyone else (i.e. marriage, adoption, etc). It is outlandish alone that one has to create an agenda dispelling what I believe to be common sense. However, we all know that common sense isn’t common at all. I often joke how I wish all the men I knew and come in contact with daily, could experience what I experience in the classrooms at Spelman College; But as I matriculate through my collegiate experience, I realize that I am not joking at all and a course centered on Manifesta should actually be a required course for all people who step foot on any college or university’s campus…but that would make…too much sense.

4 comments:

jhightow said...

Yes, I know what you mean about not knowing what you would do until you are in that situation. I know that I swear if I were to get pregnant I would have to abort the growing fetus. This is something that I have discussed with my mother extensively and she agrees. I mean some may think that it is the easy way out or not, but it is a personal decision. Why should I have to bear a child just because I became pregnant? It doesn't really make sense to me. We as women do not just have sex to get pregnant. I would like to think that we do so for the sexual enjoyment. No Man should be able to make any decision for me in regards to why or why not I should have the child. Granted it is his sperm that has got to my egg, HE should not be the controller of my reproductive abilities.

endodancer9 said...

I completely understand your view. I also took interest in this reading and specifically point 2. It is extremely aggrevating that most reproductive rights were/are made by MEN! It has nothing to do with them.
Also for point two, I regarded it not only as in abortion rights but also the right to pro-create in general. Some women know they do not want to bear children. It is upsetting that our society makes them feel like they aren't "real women" merely because they do not want to bear children.

IdiStar said...

I agree with you, it really sickens me that the people who make decisions about abortions are most like the people who don't have to physically go through it. I dont care whether or onot a woman gets pregnant 10 times and has 10 abortions, whether or not I or anyone agrees with it, the point is THEY DONT HAVE TO BECAUSE IT'S NOT THEIR DECISION!

kaylaboh said...

It is crazy how people feel so strongly about issues like abortion, to the point where they will enforce their views onto others. I just feel that these men who do not support abortion can do that..because they will not have to have the children, so they won't have to worry about abortion. Why does it have to concern them at all? They women have and bear, and in many cases, raise the children, so what part of that includes the male?