Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We're not the only women of color!

Black women are not the only women whose well-being and thoughts are on my mind.
I do not want to forget the many other women of color who have suffered for so long in this world under white domination. Like black women, Latina, Asian, Native American, Australian Aboriginals, Pacific Islanders, Central and South American, and women at the top of the world, ALL women have stories to tell. And it does not hurt to tell their side of the story. As one woman to another and for another.
Chicana feminists have struggled and fought to find their voices in the world of feminism. Their struggle had been vastly ignored and rendered almost invisible. And it is a challenge for them to be heard and recognized for their part in the liberation of all women, as they too have a part and a voice in feminism that is uniquely theirs.
Nieto-Gomez's chicana feminist standpoint was very valid even in 1976. During a time of the Chicana/o and Latin American movement in the US, I forgot to think about the women other than the farmer or "dirty" worker. I enjoyed the articles critique of feminsim for women of color. The stereotypes and issues that were brought up in the piece were eye opening.

2 comments:

dev_2010 said...

I agree with you. I feel that as a Black woman I often times just sit back and think about myself and life in general as just being "Black" and "White" thats all never nothing. When I think of race I think of Black and it just stops there. After reading this article it made me realize but also helped to reiterate the importance of other races, culture and women who go through struggles just like me. Now granted their struggle might not be what I think is as bad as a Black Women's in America struggle to be but it is stilla struggle. Afte reading this article and your blog it gave me confirmation that it wasn't just me that didn't realize that Black women were the only women that were colored.

acn said...

these readings did a good job of reminding me that women of color does not just include the blacks and browns. our struggle is their struggle but everyone has a hard time acknowledging that