Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chicana Feminism

Until now I didn't realize that besides Black women, there were other minority women groups that also had to seperate from the white women's lib movement because their needs were different from white women. This might be a stretch, but I wonder if it is possible for there ever to be just one woman's movement that encompasses every different groups struggles? To me, it seems that the seperation of the minority groups is contradictory to the whole point of the movement, which is to bring people closer together. At the same time, I do feel that these minoroity women had no choice but to seperate because their needs were being ignored.

Anna Nietogomez made a good point when she basically said it ws not up to her to specify the differences between anglo feminism and Chicana feminism. I wholeheartedly agree with her because it's like in my case, I am not here to talk about the anglo movement. People need to decide for themselves what the differences between the movements are. I feel like by being asked this question, it's like I have to prove why my movement is more important than the others, and that is not the point of the movement. Every person's movement is important to them, and being asked why yours is more important hides the real issues. Instead of contrasting movements, each movement should be looked at as its own, and not in comparison to the anglo movement.

1 comment:

Purplegirl08 said...

I agree with your blog especially the issue about comparing movements. I believe that each movement is viewed as equally valued but different. There is no point in proving that one's plight is worse than the others. Last Spring semester, I attended a Leadership course at Morehouse. The majority of the students were men and there were two Spelman students. I attended the class because my friends wanted some support. That particular class highlighted women's leadership. The class was initiated because the male students believed that women were not leaders. In order to demonstrate women's leadership, there was a panel of female administrators from Morehouse staff and other women leaders. Despite the great panel, men in the class proceeded to describe that black men suffered from oppression more than black women. It was a ridiculous argument and angered most women in the class. I believe that it does not solve anything when groups compare their oppression. Uniting against the oppressors is the best solution.