Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I’m not an Anglo or Chicana but I understand…

Although the Chicana Feminist reading was short in length, it was straight forward and clear. Anna Nietogomez clearly explains Chicana Feminism as it relates to her, a Chicana Feminist, and as it differs from Anglo feminism. The most inspiring aspect of the reading is her willingness and focus on the need for communal involvement in order to assure change within the movement. “I support my community and I do not ignore the women in my community” (302). “Let’s support child care. Children are… the responsibility of our community” (303). Because the Chicanos and Chicanas are not highly regarded many people think it is impossible for them to think for themselves and produce a political doctrine for “bettering the position of the Chicana” (302). Untrue.
Specifically the Chicana Feminists focus on the social, economical, and political issues of double standards (male privilege and female submission- 303), education, and child care within their community. Over centuries these women have been fighting for equal employment, pay, training, political participation, representation, and inclusion. Their voices were heard specifically during the labor movement.
Evidently Chicana feminism is different (and perhaps the same in some ways) as Anglo feminism. Chicanas have to face the issues of racism and classism while continuing to battle the issue of sexism. The idea that stuck out the most about Chicana Feminism is that they are truly focused on RAZA POWER! Meaning they seek to strengthen their entire race (women, children, and men).
I truly enjoyed this reading. Being a black feminist (in early stage), I can make a clear comparison to Chicana Feminism and Black Feminism. While fighting against sexism, they are also charged to fight against racism and classism.

1 comment:

dev_2010 said...

I can see were you are coming from with this reading. I think for me and our other sisters the Chicana reading was a reading of either I knew where she was coming from or simply you disagreed with it as a whole. I can not see however how both the Chicana Movement and the Anglo women's movement had similarites I think they were more so different in their beliefs. Although, they both focused on women empowerment. Yes, Black Feminisim and Chicana Feminisim have alot of values and beliefs in common which is great!! The struggle is the same in my eyes with the exception of maybe two or three small things. I think as we take the time out to really evaluate our understanding of Feminisim and what it means to be to a be Feminist, we all might have different defintions but we all are striving to build a better community for one another, despite the racism and classism. By building a better you, you can build a better community.