Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Feminism and Politics

After reading the Chicana Feminism article by Anna Nietogomez it was as if I was reading an article written by a black feminist who substituted the word Chican for Black.  All oppressions have their focus.  Feminism opposes the oppression forced upon women in particular but has different forms that consist of Anglo feminism, Black feminism, or even Chicano feminism.  All together the oppression of women is what is hoped to be destroyed but each community adds a different twist to the type of oppression one feminist may experience because of their race.  In realizing this, we can truly attest to the fact that all oppressions are interlocking and you can separate any form of oppression from another.  

Even with the different types of feminism based on personal communities there are different levels.  I could relate to this categorization of feminism because it seems as if I immediately have to explain my position on feminism whenever I say that I am a women's studies major.  Immediately someone assumes that I am a male basher because I attach my name with feminism.  This simply overlooks the reason that I identify myself in this category and simply continues the ignorance towards feminism.  The three feminist categories really helped put my thoughts into words.  Liberal, radical, and women's liberationists all have their own take on how they consider themselves.  My views parallel with the women's liberationists because I view women's oppression on the same field as any other oppression.  Just because I have the word women associated with my major doesn't eliminate any form of discrimination with other people.  We have to correct the discriminations that occur in the life of women, and this will help open the doors for all other oppressions and how to dissolve of these issues.  

In closing a quote from the article that stuck out to me relates to something I just heard on TV while doing my reading.  When Senator Obama was giving his speech in regards to the statements made by his pastor but related in on a larger scale to racism and other forms of discrimination in the U.S. something he said truly stuck out to me.  He acknowledged his pastors views on American politics and condemned what he said, but he pointed out how his pastor is entitled to his opinion but can't limit his thoughts without hoping that it is possible for American politics to change.  The quote in the reading said, "If something in our culture that is advocating oppression is unable to be criticized, evaluated and changed, this is wrong (304).  This reminds me of how the Pastors views can be criticized by the outsiders, evaluated from where he is coming from, but he has to realize himself that American politics can change.  This is something we need to do in our evaluation of oppressions in American politics.  

No comments: