Tuesday, March 18, 2008

RAZA!!!

What is a Chicana Feminist?? She is a woman who not only supports her community and actively participates in the struggle of her people toward equal rights, equal pay and the end of oppression but she also fights to give a voice to the women who are often ignored and who lose face while in this movement. I like that Gomez brought up the fact that men will try and discourage you by saying that if you are a feminist you must be a man hater or a lesbian. I am neither, and while I was on Spring Break in Miami some of the guys that I have frequent discussion with about the oppression and exploitation of women were asking me what I was doing on the beach in a two piece. I simply replied because I like being in a two piece and I want a tan. Just because I'm dressed a certain way doesn't mean that I no longer have the same views and trust me you will not see me being photographed doing all types of crazy things with drunk college boys. Sorry I needed to vent. Just like the Black Women's movement, I think its all about getting women involved, showing them that not only do they have a voice but if they use it, change will come. I see a lot of similarities in the Chicana movement and in the Black Women's movement, especially with the whole idea of having to choose between fighting for your community and fighting for your gender. I think that men fail to realize that we have to fight for both, because men are selfish, they want women to help fight for equal pay and equal rights, but only for the men. Help me get this CEO position and then I'll make you my secretary... No brotha, it doesn't work like that. I'll fight with you so that all Blacks; men and women can be CEOs and when your ready to do it my way then come holla at me! Also what is this whole concept of "Good Women" and "Bad women", Good women are those who cook, clean, ask how high when you say jump, they are married, with as many kids as their husband ask for, and of course he is the only man she has ever had sex with but only God knows how many women he has played around with. Of course Bad women are single, power women, with great jobs and an extensive education, they don't get married until they choose too and may decide not to have children at all, these women are sexually free and make their own decisions. I see it as Good women being submissive, docile and as our friend from SCUM manifesto would say they are daddy's girls but Bad women are just some strong Bad ass, I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T WOMEN!

1 comment:

dev_2010 said...

Yes !!! My sister I agree all the way in what you were saying. There surley a lot things that both the Black Women's Movement and the Chicana Movement had in common. I felt in the Chicana article that the author was actually speaking to me as a Black woman I felt myself in her movement while reading. I also can connect with you on the conversation that you had with the guys over Spring Break. Honestly I think it is important that we know what we are wearing but most importanlty how we are caring ourselves in these outfits. If you are wearing a Hoeish looking outfit and are carrying yourself in that way then yes a man might get the wrong impression . It is up to us as women to decide if this is how we want to be known as.