Tuesday, February 5, 2008

lesbians in socity

“Women Identified Women” , was very interesting. The author gave me new a new viewpoint on the visualization of lesbians. A lesbian is the range of all women condensed to the point of explosion. She is a women who, often beginning at an extremely early age, acts in accordance with her inner compulsion to be a more complete and freer human being that her society-perhaps then, but certainly later-cares to allow her. After reading this selection I viewed homosexual women as women who happen to be lesbians. I was very unaware of the emotional side (so to speak) of being a lesbian in society. It is very true that (generally speaking) society places several stereotypes on lesbians. I believe the author was trying to get across to her readers that the term lesbians just describes the sexuality a women prefers and does not identify how they are.
This reading also gave a standpoint that lesbians challenge heterosexual men. I don’t believe this is done on purpose however I believe this was the author’s view of how men see homosexual women. Instead of the term lesbian being used to describe a women’s sexual preference, the term lesbian is used to create a negative depiction of a homosexual women.

1 comment:

Feminist Theorist said...

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that lesbian is a negative word? I do think the authors were trying to convey a sense of identity with the word, no?