Monday, April 14, 2008

"No Remedy for the Inuit" Gender Issue? I think not...

I can't even begin without saying that I was unaware of the importance of environmental genocide. Before reading "No Remedy for the Inuit: Accountability for Environmental Harms Under U.S. and International Law" I decided to take it upon myself to do a quick background research on environmental genocide; and I ran across the environmental genocide involving the Native Americans and toxic waste that has been happening for years now. It kills me to know that the government alone, could so discreetly do away with others, while at the same time punishing other humans that commit crimes by the death penalty...what COWARDS!
Although Lucas suggest that this has become a gender based problem, from the research of the NACEC; I beg to differ. Genocide is taking place EVERY where and anywhere. Gender does not seem to be the problem here, the problem seems to be "man " in general holding such power that should not be in "his" hands and allowing such ridiculous behavior. Sure Lucas focuses on the dioxins inuit females, but the focus should not be JUST females, but both females and males. Environmental genocide is a WORLDWIDE issue NOT just based on females alone and it would be quite unfair to just base this serious issue on one gender being that there are many others suffering.

1 comment:

IdiStar said...

I agree with you, which is why I don't agree with the death penalty, but that's a different story...I really didn't understand how this has become a gender problem, because there are women in the government also who are taking aprt in the genocide.