Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"contesting cultures:westernization, respect for cultures, and third-world feminists"

Narayan presents an idea in her piece that women, not only of African-American decent can relate to, but as we see in her case, as an Indian women, women of all cultures are able to identify with. This idea is the notion that silence = innocence and good behavior. Often times as young girls in some, not all households, across the country, we are told time and time again that voicing our opinions, going against that of our fathers (and mothers alike) and those in "authority" is not "lady-like". When behaviors outside of the norm of conforming, thinking outside of the box, having a difference in opinion or idea, etc., young girls and women are classified as rebellious or disobedient. As the author shared in this piece, the idea of her not conforming or going against her mothers example of silence as obedience, it would then be a reflection upon her mother and her inability to parent. In my own life, I cannot say I can ever recall a time where I was silence by either of my parents, though I have seen in in friendships and even other family members. Never, however, have I heard the reason as being something that a parent feels as though will be attributed to their lack of parenting; often times it is in the lineage that these ideas and beliefs are passed down, just like many other ideas that families pass down through generations. As this piece shows...the same concepts and ideas are practiced in many households where there are mothers and daughters.

2 comments:

sankofa said...

The damaging problem is that at an early age girls are told to stay in their places. When you really analyze this idea, you begin to recognize how we have been socialized to be silent. When boys rebel they are looked as coming into manhood "boys will be boys." However, when girls rebel they are frowned upon with negative feedback that suggests that they have no respect. It baffles me that children are regarded as little soldiers when compared to their parents to fit society's agenda. If this notion weren't reinforced at such a young age, I think women would feel more empowered to speak out and against issues that affect them. Also, gender norms must be eliminated in our politics as the generations progress.

kaylaboh said...

I can understand the author in being silenced. I feel as though women in general are asked to be silent, specially being a black female. I think what makes it worse is the history of black people, specially women, in the United States, and how we are trained to stay silent, and keep problems to ourselves. I know in my own life, if I were to speak out against something, it was seen as me being a "rebel." or trying to "stand out." All of which just discouraged me from speaking out, or taking a stand for things I believed in, until I came to Spelman, and changed my major.