Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Decisions, Decisions, Decesions

I found this particular reading quite interesting, for I can relate a lot of what is being discussed in Decisions, Decisions, Decisions, from Manwuvers: The International Politics of Militarizing Women's Lives by Cynthia Enloe. On page 563 it says "A marriage becomes militarized to the extent that the woman who as the wife depends for her sense of public or domestic security...on a man who has her husband and medical care, on a man who as her husband defines himself as a solider." I immediately thought of my granmother, wife a soldier who played this role and to this day still remains in this role. In the Western world it is automatically assumed, especially with the husband active in the military, that the wife stay home and play the "stay at home role" while the husband was out fight wars, etc. In rare cases have I seen the roles reversed which is why there is always an uproar as Enloe infers in the reading. These stereotypes are common in the Western world which is why I feel so many people are closed minded.

1 comment:

Purplegirl08 said...

Militarism is an amazing concept. When I learned about it, I was very enlightened. I always questioned why men going off to war desired to get married. Now I understand because they desire to have a wife and children before they go off to war. Men want offspring just in case they may die in war. I feel so sorry for women whose husbands are off to war. I believe it is awful.