Tuesday, March 4, 2008

fighting the good fight..but where does that leave me?

When I entered the world of women studies, I found some of the major themes and concepts hard to grasp. It wasn’t until after learning about the different interconnected systems of oppression that I realized that why I was not able to grasp it previously. I had not been given the tools to break through the film of oppression to even realize there was one. It wasn’t until then that I proceeded to dive further into the ways women struggle to see ourselves. One of the quotes I liked the most was the general statement given by the Combahee River Collective on page 232. It said, “The most general statement of our politics at this present time would be that we are actively committed to struggling against racial, sexual, heterosexual, and class oppression and see as our particular task the development of integrated analysis and practice based up on the fact that the major systems of oppression are interlocking.” I felt that this quote discussed how crucial it was to unlocking some of these systems of oppression, instead of standing up for one type of oppression. I feel as though this was very relevant to me during this political campaign. I have felt as though my whole life I have been brought to choose between my race and my gender, especially now that the democratic election is between a black man and a white female. I have been personally attacked because I have “betrayed my race” for supporting a white woman. 

I believe what Patricia Hill Collins talks about concerning the black feminist theory is very true, about how it gives black females a voice, and an understanding. “One distinguishing feature of Black feminist thought is its insistence that both the changed consciousness of individuals and the social transformation of political and economic institutions constitute essential ingredients for social change” (504). Through social and political means, black women can become visible within our communities, especially within the contexts of the United States. This piece I felt was a call to action for black women. I felt as though it charged us to aspire to learn, adapt, and take hold of the black feminist ideology so that we too may have a voice among the many. 

2 comments:

Purplegirl08 said...

I believe that Black women have the unique position in this presidential race. We have both race and gender to ally with and support. It has been very difficult for black women to decide which candidate to choose. However, I definitely believe the candidates' vision and platform is more important than their race and sex. We must look at that aspect in order to make an intelligent decision. Please do not feel like you are betraying your race or sex because you choose a particular candidate. We have to remember the important principle of feminism which is the equality between men and women, white and black, poor and rich, etc. We have to look at a person's intellect, personality, and other features to make an educated decision. Combahee River Collective and Patricia Hill Collins would want us to choose according to the candidates' approach to black women's issues. How are they addressing our issues?

sankofa said...

I agree! I find highly insulting for polls, political organizers, and even my school leaders to deem women to be so feeble minded that they would ignore the platform of a prospective Chief of State simply based on their demographics. Such background does contribute but definitely does not determine the decision for well-informed voters that truly care about the overall betterment of this country.