Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Better Understanding

It is fuuny to me that when I first read an article by the Combahee River Collective, I was immediatey turned off because the name sounded boring. Then I actually read the footnote and found out why this was the name of the group, and I felt so ignorant! Anyway, this reading was very to the point and I really enjoyed it. It gave me a better understanding of the purpose of the women in the Combahee River Collection, and a better understanding of the need for a seperate Black Feminist Movement. When I first started getting into women's studies, I guess I didn't understand why there was a need for a Black Feminist Movement, but now it is clearer. The White Feminist Movement indeed left out Black women because they were fighting for different things. White women wanted the opportunity to work outside of the house, while Black women were already granted this "right". One question that I simply cannot find the answer to is why do people think that they deserve certain freedom and rights while they are at the same time oppressing others and leavig other people out? I just dont get how, for example, I can think I deserve to be able to do everythig that a white man/woman can do, but I don't think black lesbians should be granted this equality.
I like the idea of the Combahee River Collection because they are coming together to address the issues of the Black Feminist Movement. They understand the value of Black women, and really understand that nobody really cares about us, but us. There words are so empowering, and it really just goes to show that if we, as Black women, want to change or value and worth in this society, we have to take initiative.

2 comments:

jhightow said...

I guess when you say you thought the name was "boring," you were mostly refering to the fact that you did not what to expect or the signifiance of such a word. I am glad you were able to admit that because often times I think we assume that we know what something means. But that is neither here nor there. I have read this piece before and always find something new every time I reread it. I think that this article should be the "posterchild" for an intro to Black women studies class because it illustrates the importance of Black feminists. I think often times we are regard as inessential in our efforts because Black men are already making strides, but that the mass fails to mention that they are taking strides for their race, not necessarily other genders or other oppressed groups in the Black community. It is quite frustrating to even be ignored and oppressed by your own people. It is great the in 1974, these women took a political stance to challenge and discuss these issues in the forefront.

Blakelymarie said...

I think that one of the hardest things to be in this world is a Black woman. People are always dismissing us, not giving us enough credit, taking us for granted, saying that are experiences are invalid. If its not someone from your race oppressing you than its someone from your gender and vise versa. I totally agree with Joy in that every time I read this article I find something new, something powerful. I too believe that in every intro to women's studies course, more importantly those taught to Black women, this should be one of the first articles assigned!