Sunday, March 2, 2008

Does My Freedom REALLY equate to the destruction of other oppressed groups?

I am going to have to say that I am on both sides of the fence. It is important to take a look into history and see that Black women have made strides, particularly so in the work force and other domains. Granted the strides haven't been more progressive than the other groups. Hmm, this then makes me think, did other racial and disenfranchised groups make these strides because of the social progression of Blacks or was it just a time in society, where there was a sense of racial and minority uplift?  That is not for me to decide, but only ponder.  Patricia Hill Collins points out that the importance in Black feminist thought is that knowledge is the bread of empowerment. Now, I had to think about this and after doing so I figured that yes this is true.  Knowing about your oppression, living your oppression are far greater points of reference that just hearing about it from an oppressed individual.  Being educated by those who have been oppressed will provide a higher level of enlightenment because they are speaking from the heart, they are speaking from the position of "being tired of being sick and tired."  Such a standpoint is important to move away from this Euro-masculinist thinking in order to form our own concept of reality and make assertions to produce a state of mind and social inclusion that is free of discriminatory practices.  How can such strides be made by a group who is regard as plank in the bottom of the sea? It is going to take the political activism, heart, strength, and commitment of other Black women who have had similar experiences and are just tired of being subjugated to basic levels of society.  We as Black women have to be able to challenge these Eurcoentric notions of existence and create our own in order to move forth to a greater place of racial equality.  I am happy that women such as Patrica Hill Collins and the Cohmbahee River Collective take iniative to create a universal human dimension of Black women. Each group has only a partial perspective, therefore, why wouldn't Black women have their niche as well?  It only makes sense. We need to be represented by those who have experienced or are living it now! I do not want to read about myself from a white male point of view. He has no idea what it means to be a Black woman. The things that  experience because of my race and gender.  Only another Black woman could tell the story of my life through her black feminist lens.  This sharing of a common dialogue is essential to transcending differences.  

1 comment:

Cydnee B said...

J.H. I am so glad you are in this class with me, because when I need a little bit of clarification you come through in the clutch.
I really appreciated your blog because you gave me a better understanding of what Collins was saying in her article.

I agree 100% with you as far as not wanting to read about yourself (a black female) from a white male. The only words we could expect from him would be bias, inaccurate and irrelevant. This is why, as you said, there is the need for black feminist knowledge. So that black women can learn about black women from the best teachers (other black women)!!! Random...but this made me think about the clothing line FUBU "for us by us". As corny as it is for me to bring that up, the truth of the matter is that only we as a community of black women know what we want, and need.

Anyways...thank you again for sptting knowledge about this article...the message the Collins is addressing is important to all black women regardless of if they consider themselves feminists or not!