Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Not much of a science person but...

I thought I had heard all the myths about the process of sexual intercourse and fertilization. Clearly I was mistaken. In reading the "The Importance of Feminist Critique for Contemporary Cell Biology", I discovered how appalled I am with science's view on we came about.
As I read the progressive opinions of the roles of the egg and sperm, I realized I have no clue what really goes on during the process of fertilization. I sat here questioning all I had ever been taught about the sperms' "journey" and the egg's ability to wait patiently to be pierced. Even as I reflect, I am unsure if the sperm is really the egg's "Knight in Shining Armor" or the hunter seeking his prey. Although I am definitely not a science person, I managed to finish this reading. I was slightly confused with the explanation of the two types of metabolism that inevitably determine the gender of the fetus. However, the Women's Studies scholar in me looked beyond the scientific terms and focused on the ideas of the egg (like her female owner) being a passive participant in the process of fertilization. I appreciate the evolution of these ideas that recognizes the egg and the sperm as active participants. However, this model bothered me because it made the egg seem "whore-like" because she was a magnet attracting the sperm.
It is also interesting to me that the way one views fertilization may also affect the way the individual views masculine and feminine norms. Descriptions the sperm as the hero or the hunter truly reflected the "male libido".

3 comments:

Feminist Theorist said...

Exactly. Regardless of whether the egg or sperm does more "work" it should not impact how we think about men and women in society.

Scientists used to believe that there was only one sex and that females were inverted males, males that didn't fully develop. This happened because of different metabolisms. Maybe we will discuss this in class.

Anonymous said...

I agree...I am also very pleased with the new views about the process of fertilization. If research shows that the egg is just as active as the sperm, than what is wrong with that??

It's sad that scientists are making science less and less credible as they attempt to argue that the gender constructs of today hold true when discussing the process of fertilization.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your blog. Given that the article was challenging for non-science interest, it did have some topics that were easy to relate to. I was shocked also when I read about the egg being the magnet that pulled the sperm in. It gave off the impression that they were whore-like which you stated. At the same time it seemed like the egg was dependent on the sperm in order to procreate. Prior to this reading I never really question gender construction within the sciences, but reading this article and other postings like yourself has opened my eyes.