Friday, January 25, 2008

My opinions and thoughts on "The Importance of Feminist Critiquie for Contemporary Cell Biology"


Me in addition to "jamrock" being a former Biology major but still wanting to pursue medical school and a medical career the article entitled, “The Importance of Feminist Critique for Contemporary Cell Biology” was very applicable to my own experience as a student and for what I dream of m y future career to be. Growing up I had always heard that being African-American and being a woman the sciences, math, and engineering were going to be the place that I needed to go and the path I needed to follow because in order first to be successful in today's "society" that was the way to go also to be able to earn enough money. While following that track I find myself being forced into studying things that I no longer had an interest in; therefore, not performing well. When I read this article I thoroughly found myself being interested in what I was reading for the first time in a long time because it took something that I am passionate about relating to medicine and health in addition to a feminist critique. I could not agree more with "daplaw" when she stated that "The natural sciences are a subject of feminist. The anticipation and fear are based in the recognition that we are a scientific culture, that scientific rationality has permeated not only the modes of thinking and acting of our public institutions but even the ways we think about the most intimate details of our private lives." I remember my first day in Biology class when the professor stated that Biology applies to any and everything that you do in life. While not dismissing that idea I now recognize that everything comes together as a whole to make it a reality.



Within the article I thought it was quite interesting especially during the part of "Sperm going A 'Courtin" when it spoke of the katabolic behavior of adult males (shorter life span, greater activity, and smaller size) in comparison to the energy-conserving habits of females who were described as being (larger, passive, vegetative, and conservative). Saying that the egg lays there docile waiting for the strong sperm that was able to withstand the harsh environment of the women's body and make it to the egg almost as if it were prince charming coming to save her was amusing. It made me think back to and remember growing up when I used to watch the movie "Look Who's Talking" which John Travolta and Kirstie Alley in the beginning of the movie showing an egg laying and all the guys are cheering one another one racing to see who can get to the egg first as a competition.




A look at this article again only showed me the type of society that we live in and how society thinks about women in the comparisons that it makes of our bodies to other things such as something being in a vegetative state. Thus only leaving more room for change!




1 comment:

Feminist Theorist said...

yes this feedback loop between society and acience does leave room for a lot of change. How might this change occur? How might you employ a feminist critique in your studies?