Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cancer. What more can I say ?

This week's reading was not only interesting to me by its eye catching titles but it was also a time of reflection for me. As I began to see the titles for the this week's reading Integrating disability, Cancer journals, Fatness and Transgression the first thing that came to mind was that these are all health issues that women and men but mainly women deal with and face on a day to day basis.
I remember just weeks before I left home over Christmas break, my aunt came over and we had a talk about life, college, family , etc But after all we discussed she never did talk about the fact that she was dying of Breast cancer and it had spread from her breast to her bones in a matter of months. I have seen over the years friends and family die of this deadly disease one person can have it for 40 years and survive and another can have it for 4 weeks and be gone. Personally, I have not experienced the pain and struggle that these cancer patients have to go through but I have been in the midst of holding on right by their side. Being on their side when they take their very last breath, and the last person's hand I held was my aunt who died 2 days before I returned back to Spelman after Christmas break.
Although, my personal story probably had nothing to do with any of the readings off hand I felt the need to vent ad talk about how serious cancer can affect a person and how being healthy is in fact important. After telling my story about my aunt, it brought me back to the reading of " A burst of light: Living with cancer by Audre Lorde.
When reading the article by Lorde she begins by talking about her battle with cancer and how scared she was to know that this was something that she could really die of. As she battled with her cancer she explains how her life was changing as time went by what she thought was secure with her life she began to question. However, when she was trying to deal with her cancer and asks the doctors questions on things that she wanted to know and how to avoid they made her feel inferior she was just trying to educate herself on her condition.
Over the years and even now in the health care industry racism and sexism has become more then just a problem it has become a major issue for patients and their personal comfort. It was hard to believe in the early 1980's when Lorde was undergoing her situation they were talking down to her and I'm sure others as well based on their sex, gender and race. That shows to tell me now that nothing has change it is still presently in the health care system and lets say everywhere else. Women, men, and children all should have the right to ask as many questions as they like regarding anything especially their HEALTH !!!! Professionals in the health care industry need to understand that in order for you to be treated with fairness you must first give respect in order to receive it.

No comments: