Tuesday, February 12, 2008

FED UP!!

Reading this article caused me to really confront my feelings towards homosexuality. This may have nothing to do with the reading, but I just need to vent. I am not gay, and I do not understand how/why people are gay, but that is where it stops. I am not going to go out of my way to say that certain people can get married, but others cannot. I feel that I do not have the power to decide what is right and what is wrong because I am not in the position to punish anyone. Quite frankly, I really don't care! This may sound selfish, but my point is why cant people just live their lives in peace? Two men being married has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with me, and it won't affect me one bit, so why should it matter? Seriously...WHO CARES? I dont understand why people will go through soooo much trouble to stop gay marriages and to dehumaniz LGBTQ people, but we have children starving, and millions of homeless people suffering everyday!

It is ironic that African Americans, having been at one point the most hated people, are probably the most homophobic race in the United Staes. I seriously don't understand how we can put others throught the same stuff that we went through; it's like an emotional slavery. We were judged and classified based on one thing: the color of our skin. Now we are judging people on their sexuality. I think it all stems back to our society's need for labels and how ineffective they are. A person's sexuality has nothing to do with how efficient they are in the workplace, their intelligence, or what kind of friend they can be. Sexuality is just one aspect of a person and should not be used to define who a person is. I am just sick of people blowing their tops over homosexuality...I think there are many more problems in the world that need to be focused on.

1 comment:

janinedanielle said...

I agree wholeheartedly with your statement regarding African-Americans and their treatment of homosexuals considering out own experience. I think the separation arises from Af-Am's feeling that they do not have a choice in regards to their complexion and identity whereas they perceive homosexuality as a choice. Therefore, they see the movements a two completely different struggles and in choosing to be homosexual, you have to be ready to accept society's criticism of your choice.