Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Inuit women

I found this article to be very moving. It talked about the different elements this one group of Inuit women have to deal with on a daily basis. It also brings in a different type of oppression that I had never thought about before, the fight for environmental justice. The author talks about how these women have been digesting toxins that were in their foods. The most horrific part about this is that majority of the toxin are coming from the emissions from the United States. I always thought about the clarity of our air, in regards to our earth, environment, and surrounding communities. I never thought about my driving emissions affecting the reproductive rights of another woman. Maybe I have just been naive, and I feel as though this maybe that was intent of this class, to get us to think critically about our words, actions, and perceptions, and how they are very narrow-minded to the perspectives to those women around the world. We really need to more knowledgeable to women's suffering on a more global level. I thought it was very interesting when I asked people in class if they would give up their food, which is apart of their cultural identity, to life a "non-toxic" life. It was interesting to see how people laughed at the situation, and then proceeded to say that it was a "no-brainer." I thought that this whole mentality was what Americans so often get accused of, not being able to see the broader picture. It might be simple for African American women per say to stop eating churches chicken (stereotype) if it were poisoned. These women do not have many choices, and it is apart of their cultural identity, to eat fish, and meat. So how can we really look down on them for keeping their pride, and identity, if anything we should be ashamed that we could so willingly give up our identity without thought. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you in learning about new oppressions that one would normally uncover. In this class I have learned about so much stuff that is surroundine me that I never talk about. I have to admite I've never been an environmental caring person. I do the basics of not littering, but I don't take the time to think about my car emmissions and what it is truly doing to the environment. But once the food discussion was brought up, I started to feel more connected. As Americans I sometimes feel like we are spoiled, because of the variety of foods offered. We rarely have to worry if a food is safe to eat, but for other people in different parts of the world this is a must. I really enjoyed this article although I didn't think I would like it at first. Good choice!