Tuesday, February 19, 2008

migrate to the US for what?!?!?

As I read through this article I attempted to accept it as a form of education. I was learning about the term "transnational" and noting the 5 "primary ways in which the term transnational does a particular kind of work in the U.S. academy in general" (570). For the most part I understood the concepts of migration [1], economy [2], diasporas [3], and feminism [5]. Unfortunately the fourth concept, neocolonialism, took me for a spin.
Throughout the reading, nothing really sparked concern. However, while reading the bottom of the first column on page 573, I became curious. The section discussed the migration of people to the United States in relation to sexual identity. The explanation of this "movement from repression to freedom" (573) lead me to believe that many people migrate to the United States specifically for the sexual freedom, liberating polictics in relation to one's sexuality, and the place "where they can express their true nature and sexual identity" (573). PEOPLE MIGRATE TO THE UNITED STATES BECAUSE THEY FEEL THEIR SEXUALAITY IS MORE ACCEPTED HERE?!?!? WOW. I never knew that! Completely new to me.

No comments: